What are some basic facts about children's eye health?

All children should have their vision checked at 3 and 6 years of age regardless of their eye health. If there are any concerns about vision your doctor may perform an eye exam at any time and may refer the child to an optometrist or ophthalmologist. All eye pain and/or injury should be evaluated by a doctor. Children should wear protective eyewear for all contact sports and hobbies or activities -- such as woodworking, metalworking and yardwork -- that put the eyes at risk.
Alison E. Smith, MD
Ophthalmology
In this video, topics of adolescent eye health are discussed, including lazy eye, cataracts, and sitting close to the TV. Learn some basics of children's eye health in this video, shared by Alison Smith, MD, pediatric ophthalmologist at Greenville Health System.

Continue Learning about Eye and Vision

Trouble with Fine Print? The Facts on Presbyopia
Do you find that you have to hold things farther away from your eyes to see them clearly? The problem you're having may be due to presbyopia -- a cond...
Are blood vessels in my eye encroaching on my iris a serious problem?
Ivan A. Schwab, MDIvan A. Schwab, MD
Yes, these blood vessels could be a potential problem to your eyes. Many contact lenses will cau...
7 Foods for Healthy Eyes
7 Foods for Healthy Eyes7 Foods for Healthy Eyes7 Foods for Healthy Eyes7 Foods for Healthy Eyes
For brighter eyes and clearer vision, these foods can help.
Will We Eventually Be Able to Cure Blindness?