What is color blindness?

Color blindness is a color vision deficiency. People with color blindness have a perception of color that is different from the average person. There are three main types of color blindness: red/green, which is the most common; blue/yellow; and total color blindness, which is rare.
Color blindness, or achromatopsia, simply means that you're not able to see colors the way most people see them. This is caused by problems with color-sensing cells in the retina, called cone cells. There are three main types of color blindness: red-green color blindness; blue-yellow color blindness; and complete color blindness, in which people see only shades of gray. Red-green color blindness is the most common type. It is more common in men than in women; in fact, 1 in 12 men have some form of color blindness. Most people with color blindness have it from birth, although some people develop it later in life. Color blindness usually affects both eyes and, for most people, doesn't get worse with age.

Continue Learning about Eye and Vision

Clear Insight: How to Prevent Cataracts
Clear Insight: How to Prevent Cataracts
When Little Red Riding Hood exclaimed, “My Grandma, what big eyes you have,” the Big Bad Wolf replied, “The better to see you with my dear.” “But, Gra...
Vision Loss and Depression: What's the Connection?
Vision loss can make it harder—even impossible—to do certain activities you enjoy or to perform routine tasks, such as driving. Fears of falling or ha...
Can 3D Printers Generate Eyes That Function Properly?
Why Do I Get Pink Eye a Lot?
Why Do I Get Pink Eye a Lot?