What causes ulcers in the eyes?

The term ulcer is most commonly used to refer to a corneal ulcer.  The most common cause of corneal ulcer is bacterial infection from contact lens use.  One may also get bacterial infections from eyelid bacteria seen in blepharitis.  Viruses such as herpes simplex and varicella zoster can cause corneal ulcers.  Severe dry eyes can cause ulcers as well.  Exposure of the eye in the case of poor functioning of eyelids also predisposes to an ulcer.  Corneal ulcers can also be due to inflammation without infection and they can also be a form of degeneration in the cornea that is either age or inheritance. Any type of ulcer of the cornea is a medical emergency that must be attended to by an Eye M.D. as soon as possible.

Continue Learning about Eye and Vision

Worst Case Scenario: I Slept in My Contact Lenses
It’s hard enough to brush your teeth, floss and wash your face before plopping under the covers. But if you’re one of the 41 million people in the US ...
What is retroorbicularis oculi fat (ROOF)?
Arthur W. Perry, MDArthur W. Perry, MD
Some people have fat behind the muscle of the eyelid called ROOF (retroorbicularis oculi fat). I...
5 Best Foods for Your Eyes
5 Best Foods for Your Eyes5 Best Foods for Your Eyes5 Best Foods for Your Eyes5 Best Foods for Your Eyes
Swap your carrots for these eye-friendly foods.
What Is the Mission of the American Academy of Ophthalmology?