What causes our eyes to blink?

Blinking is made possible by a muscle in the face called the obicularis oculi. It’s the only muscle that can close the eyelid and keep it shut. Some people lose the ability to use this important muscle, thus losing the ability to completely close their eyes. This can be very uncomfortable; the eye is unprotected and tears drain onto the face.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Eye and Vision

Clear Insight: How to Prevent Cataracts
Clear Insight: How to Prevent Cataracts
When Little Red Riding Hood exclaimed, “My Grandma, what big eyes you have,” the Big Bad Wolf replied, “The better to see you with my dear.” “But, Gra...
7 Vision Problems You Shouldn't Ignore
7 Vision Problems You Shouldn't Ignore7 Vision Problems You Shouldn't Ignore7 Vision Problems You Shouldn't Ignore7 Vision Problems You Shouldn't Ignore
Keep your eyes healthy and watch out for these common vision problems. So much of what we experience, learn and enjoy in life we owe to the gift of si...
What Eye Disease Treatment Innovations Excite You?
What Are the Most Important Issues in Eye Health?