What allergies affect the cornea?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

The most common allergies of the cornea are those related to pollen, particularly when the weather is warm and dry. Symptoms can include redness, itching, tearing, burning, stinging, and a watery discharge. The allergies are not usually severe enough to require medical attention. Antihistamine decongestant eyedrops can effectively reduce these symptoms, as do rain and cooler weather, which decrease the amount of pollen in the air.

An increasing number of eye allergy cases are related to medications and contact lenses. Also, animal hair and certain cosmetics, such as mascara, face creams, and eyebrow pencil, can cause allergies that affect the eye. Touching or rubbing eyes after handling nail polish, soaps, or chemicals may cause an allergic reaction. Some people have sensitivity to lip gloss and eye makeup. Allergy symptoms are temporary and can be eliminated by avoiding contact with the offending cosmetic or detergent.

This answer is based on source information from the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases.

Continue Learning about Eye and Vision

Understanding and Treating Dry Eye
Understanding and Treating Dry Eye
Aoulef, Algeria, receives less than 0.5 inches of rain annually; Ica, Peru, averages 0.09 inches, and the Dry Valleys of Antarctica get 0.0. Those sup...
What Can Happen to My Eyesight After I Turn 40?
In this video, ophthalmologist David Demartini, MD, describes the serious effect that aging can have on a person’s eyes, and discusses the vision chan...
Do's and Don'ts to Calm Itchy, Watery Eyes
Endless sneezing and stuffed-up noses drive most allergy sufferers to see their doctors. But many people put up with itchy, watery eyes and dark under...
When to Get a Vision Screening
When to Get a Vision Screening
At certain points in your life, it's important to have your eyes examined by an eye care professional -- even if your eyes feel fine and there doesn't...