What is the treatment for Brown syndrome in children?

Brown syndrome is caused by an abnormality of the tendon or trochlea of the superior oblique muscle. This structure is located in the upper-inner corner of the orbit and results in a reduced ability of the patient to elevate her eye, especially when looking up and toward the nose with the affected eye. Brown syndrome is infrequent, though not rare. Treatment options range from observation to surgery. Surgery is the most common method of managing the problem and is the only possible solution in most cases. Surgery is generally indicated when the child exhibits frequent use of an abnormal head posture during visual activities or fails to fuse (use the eyes together). Surgical options include a silicone extender (often referred to as a silicone spacer), a tenotomy (transection) of the superior oblique tendon, tenectomy (removal of a segment) of the superior oblique tendon, and other less frequently used options. Surgery is typically successful in improving or correcting the problem.

Continue Learning about Eye and Vision

Parched Peepers?
Parched Peepers?
Do you suffer from itchy, burning, or scratchy eyes? As you age, normal tear production tends to decrease, which can lead to dry eyes. You don't have...
Read More
Are blood vessels in my eye encroaching on my iris a serious problem?
Ivan A. Schwab, MDIvan A. Schwab, MD
Yes, these blood vessels could be a potential problem to your eyes. Many contact lenses will cau...
More Answers
10 Simple Sight-Saving Tips
10 Simple Sight-Saving Tips10 Simple Sight-Saving Tips10 Simple Sight-Saving Tips10 Simple Sight-Saving Tips
Take a look at 10 sight-saving tips to protect your vision and boost your eye health.
Start Slideshow
What Is Age-Related Macular Degeneration?
What Is Age-Related Macular Degeneration?

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.