Should I have LASIK if I have keratoconus?

Keratoconus is a condition that can be made much worse with LASIK and thus should be avoided by those who have it. There are a few ophthalmologists that will perform LASIK on certain patients with mild keratoconus, but I am not one of them, and I urge you to avoid that risk. There are several remaining options for you. I know that you know about spectacles and contact lenses and suggest that these are the safest and easiest solutions. Clear-lens exchange where the human lens of the eye is removed and replaced with an artificial lens is an option.  Presbyopia (difficulty with near vision) will be an issue even with the presbyopia-correcting lenses. Additionally, the rate of retinal detachment goes up in nearsighted people who undergo lens replacement surgery. Another option is the placement of a lens inside your eye without removal of the human crystalline lens called the ICL, which you should research. 

Continue Learning about Eye and Vision

7 Ways to Live Better With Low Vision
7 Ways to Live Better With Low Vision7 Ways to Live Better With Low Vision7 Ways to Live Better With Low Vision7 Ways to Live Better With Low Vision
Make your day-to-day living easier with these home and lifestyle tips. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), about 14 mi...
What Is the Mission of the American Academy of Ophthalmology?
Can Blindness Be Prevented?
Can Blindness Be Prevented?
What Is Age-Related Macular Degeneration?