Should I have LASIK if I have keratoconus?

Keratoconus is a condition that can be made much worse with LASIK and thus should be avoided by those who have it. There are a few ophthalmologists that will perform LASIK on certain patients with mild keratoconus, but I am not one of them, and I urge you to avoid that risk. There are several remaining options for you. I know that you know about spectacles and contact lenses and suggest that these are the safest and easiest solutions. Clear-lens exchange where the human lens of the eye is removed and replaced with an artificial lens is an option.  Presbyopia (difficulty with near vision) will be an issue even with the presbyopia-correcting lenses. Additionally, the rate of retinal detachment goes up in nearsighted people who undergo lens replacement surgery. Another option is the placement of a lens inside your eye without removal of the human crystalline lens called the ICL, which you should research. 

Continue Learning about Eye and Vision

Sunglasses as Important as Sunscreen for Kids
Perhaps you’re quick to make sure your kids wear sunglasses when you hit the beach or the pool. But do you take the same precaution when they’re just ...
What is occu-lock?
David K. Coats, MDDavid K. Coats, MD
The term occu-lock is not a term used by ophthalmologists. There are, however, muscular and several ...
7 Foods for Healthy Eyes
7 Foods for Healthy Eyes7 Foods for Healthy Eyes7 Foods for Healthy Eyes7 Foods for Healthy Eyes
For brighter eyes and clearer vision, these foods can help.
Can Eyes Be Transplanted?
Can Eyes Be Transplanted?