What is retinal angiography?

To more closely examine the retina (the back of your eye) and choroid (blood vessels under the retina), your ophthalmologist (Eye M.D.) may use a diagnostic technique called angiography (pronounced an-jee-AHG-ruh-fee).
A colored dye is injected into a vein in your arm, where it travels throughout the blood vessels in your body. As the dye passes through the blood vessels in the eye, a special camera takes photographs of the retina or choroid blood vessels.
Two types of dyes can be injected into the vein: fluorescein (pronounced FLOR-uh-seen) or indocyanine green (ICG).

Continue Learning about Eye and Vision

Another Clear Reason to Quit Smoking: Cataracts
Smoking has been linked to a long list of serious health risks, including a higher chance of developing cataracts. But a study found that smokers who ...
How do I manage my viral eye infections on a daily basis?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Managing a viral eye infection is often simply a case of staying home and limiting contact with othe...
5 Best Foods for Your Eyes
5 Best Foods for Your Eyes5 Best Foods for Your Eyes5 Best Foods for Your Eyes5 Best Foods for Your Eyes
Swap your carrots for these eye-friendly foods.
Can 3D Printers Generate Eyes That Function Properly?