What is posterior capsulotomy?

Posterior capsulotomy is a surgical procedure that is sometimes necessary after cataract surgery.

Cataract surgery removes a cataract (the cloudy lens causing blurred vision) from its cellophane-like lining called the lens capsule. An artificial lens (called an intraocular lens, or IOL) is then inserted into the capsule to replace the natural lens.

Weeks to years after cataract surgery, the capsule may become cloudy or wrinkled and cause blurred vision. A posterior capsulotomy is a simple laser procedure that makes an opening in the back, or posterior, part of the capsule to restore your normal vision.

Continue Learning about Eye and Vision

Worst Case Scenario: I Slept in My Contact Lenses
It’s hard enough to brush your teeth, floss and wash your face before plopping under the covers. But if you’re one of the 41 million people in the US ...
Are viral eye infections serious?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Viral eye infections are the most common type of eye infection, but how serious a viral eye infectio...
7 Foods for Healthy Eyes
7 Foods for Healthy Eyes7 Foods for Healthy Eyes7 Foods for Healthy Eyes7 Foods for Healthy Eyes
For brighter eyes and clearer vision, these foods can help.
Will We Eventually Be Able to Cure Blindness?