How do I manage my viral eye infections on a daily basis?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Managing a viral eye infection is often simply a case of staying home and limiting contact with others while the disease runs its course. This is easier said than done of course; particularly since an infection like conjunctivitis can take several weeks to fully clear up. In the meantime, you'll need to limit irritation to the infected eye or eyes. For example, if you wear contact lenses normally, you shouldn't wear them while you have an infection, and make sure you clean the lenses and case thoroughly before you start wearing them again.

Seeing a doctor early on after viral eye infection symptoms begin can provide you with treatment to ease the symptoms. In the case of pink eye, a diagnosis can also protect others from developing an infection since you'll know to stay home and avoid contact with others until the infection clears up. If the infection turns out to be more serious than pink eye, starting long-term treatment early will help limit your symptoms.

Continue Learning about Eye and Vision

9 Warning Signs Your Child Has Vision Problems
Kids can be pretty vocal when they’re hungry, grumpy or just plain ol’ tired, but when it comes to vision problems—such as difficulty making out the w...
Looking for Stroke Risks in Eyeball Photos
A picture may be worth a thousand words, but one good image of your eye’s inner workings may be even more precious: It could predict your risk of faci...
E-Readers Easier for Patients With Low Vision
Would you rather curl up with a paperback book or read your novel on a Kindle or iPad? For people with vision loss, the choice is clear, according to ...
Clear Insight: How to Prevent Cataracts
Clear Insight: How to Prevent Cataracts
When Little Red Riding Hood exclaimed, “My Grandma, what big eyes you have,” the Big Bad Wolf replied, “The better to see you with my dear.” “But, Gra...