Is there a cure for keratitis?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

If your keratitis is identified and treated early, then you should make a full recovery. Often, keratitis is caused by a bacterial, viral, or fungal infection, and taking antibiotic, antiviral, or antifungal medications can eliminate the infection and return your eye to normal. If your keratitis does not get treatment promptly, however, your cornea may sustain permanent damage. Sometimes, transplants of cornea tissue can restore eyesight, but there is still a chance you will face some permanent vision loss.

Continue Learning about Eye and Vision

Eyes: A Window into Health
Eyes: A Window into Health
You take in the world with your eyes—from paint colors to the perfect autumn sky—but did you know your eyes also allow for a unique look inside your b...
What should I do if an object has penetrated my eye?
If an object has penetrated your eye, seek medical attention promptly. A penetrating injury to the e...
What are symptoms of an eye infection?
There are a variety of symptoms that may indicate an eye infection. The eye may develop redness or p...
How do eyelash growth abnormalities affect the body?
In general, eyelash growth disorders only affect the eyes. The effect that an eyelash growth abnorma...