Is it safe to sleep with my contact lenses in?

It is not safe to sleep with your contact lenses in. Extended wear of contact lenses is one of the greatest risk factors for developing corneal infections. Even if you haven't had a problem yet, it's kind of like gambling with the health of your eye. It only takes one episode that can have devastating complications. The risk of having an infection is about 10 to 15 times higher for someone who sleeps in their contact lenses.

Continue Learning about Eye and Vision

How to Protect Your Eyes from Harmful UV Rays
As every good vampire hunter knows (think Buffy), the sun’s rays are lethal to the undead, unless they wear a daylight ring made by witches (thanks Va...
How do I treat foreign objects in the eye?
Dr. Kathleen Handal, MDDr. Kathleen Handal, MD
Here’s how to administer first aid for a foreign object in the eye: Flush eye: Use sterile eyewas...
7 Foods for Healthy Eyes
7 Foods for Healthy Eyes7 Foods for Healthy Eyes7 Foods for Healthy Eyes7 Foods for Healthy Eyes
For brighter eyes and clearer vision, these foods can help.
Can Robots Improve Eye Surgery?
Can Robots Improve Eye Surgery?