How does race affect age-related changes in eyesight?

Laura C. Fine, MD
Ophthalmology
Although age-related changes in eyesight affect everyone, significant racial disparities exist when it comes to types of eye disease. In Americans older than 40, the leading cause of blindness in white people is age-related macular degeneration, while in black people it is cataract, and in Hispanic people it is glaucoma (a group of eye diseases that cause vision loss through damage to the optic nerve). This probably results from a combination of factors such as genetics, dietary patterns, and access to medical care.

Continue Learning about Eye and Vision

The Gross Truth About Swimming Pools and Your Eyes
Swimming and water aerobics are great ways to stay fit, especially for people with chronic pain—whether it's everyday joint pain or an illness like fi...
How do I manage my viral eye infections on a daily basis?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Managing a viral eye infection is often simply a case of staying home and limiting contact with othe...
10 Simple Sight-Saving Tips
10 Simple Sight-Saving Tips10 Simple Sight-Saving Tips10 Simple Sight-Saving Tips10 Simple Sight-Saving Tips
Take a look at 10 sight-saving tips to protect your vision and boost your eye health.
What Recent Eye Health Developments Have Surprised You the Most?