How do I know what type of contact lens is right for me?

The choice of contact lenses involves multiple considerations. If the need is for a moderate correction with no more than moderate amounts of astigmatism, a planned replacement lens is the most common choice and, of these, a biweekly or monthly lens is most common. There are daily disposable lenses as well, but these are more expensive to use.

The advantage of planned replacement is that a new lens will always have fewer deposits, especially proteins, on it. The deposits that develop on contact lenses over time with use can lead to chronic inflammation that can make contact lens wear intolerable. Therefore, planned replacement at a minimum of once a month is beneficial and I often recommend it.

Continue Learning about Eye and Vision

You Can Prevent Eye Disease
You Can Prevent Eye Disease
Keep Your Eyes on the Prize, a civil rights anthem from the 1950s recorded by everyone from Pete Seeger to Bruce Springsteen, calls for folks to pay a...
What might cause chronic, thick eye discharge?
Wayne BizerWayne Bizer
There are many causes of such a problem, such as allergy, dry eye, and chronic irritation. I urg...
5 Best Foods for Your Eyes
5 Best Foods for Your Eyes5 Best Foods for Your Eyes5 Best Foods for Your Eyes5 Best Foods for Your Eyes
Swap your carrots for these eye-friendly foods.
What Good Hygiene Practices Can Help Prevent Eye Diseases?