How do I know if my child has a vision problem?

If your child has a vision screen that is worse than 20/40 at the 3 to 5 year old wellness exam, you should see an ophthalmologist to find out whether they need glasses or not. If they are over the age of 6 and their vision is worse than 20/30, they need a formal vision screen as well.

Other things you can look for in your child are if they have an eye that tends to wander, especially when they get tired, because one eye can be worse than the other. They may not notice that, but the bad eye may actually wander, and that's what we call a lazy eye. So, if you notice a lazy eye, or if your child is squinting a lot, or needing to get really close to objects in order to see them, then you need to bring that up with your pediatrician.

The signals that a child may have vision problems include:

• Eye crossing
  • White pupil
  • Complaints of double vision
  • Eye pain
  • An eye that looks abnormal
  • Excessive tearing or swelling

Continue Learning about Eye and Vision

Worst Case Scenario: I Slept in My Contact Lenses
It’s hard enough to brush your teeth, floss and wash your face before plopping under the covers. But if you’re one of the 41 million people in the US ...
Are blood vessels in my eye encroaching on my iris a serious problem?
Ivan A. Schwab, MDIvan A. Schwab, MD
Yes, these blood vessels could be a potential problem to your eyes. Many contact lenses will cau...
7 Foods for Healthy Eyes
7 Foods for Healthy Eyes7 Foods for Healthy Eyes7 Foods for Healthy Eyes7 Foods for Healthy Eyes
For brighter eyes and clearer vision, these foods can help.
Can 3D Printers Generate Eyes That Function Properly?