How do herpes simplex and keratitis relate?

Herpes simplex is a contagious virus that underlies many medical conditions, like meningitis, encephalitis, and genital herpes. Once the virus is in your system, there is no way to truly kill it, so people who have once had herpes simplex commonly have recurrent flare-ups of infection. Infection can crop up on your lips, skin, genitals, or eyes.

Herpes simplex in the eyes is one type of keratitis, and is one of the more common causes of the condition. Herpes simplex keratitis, like all types of keratitis, causes pain and inflammation in the eyes, and also often creates painful corneal ulcers.

Continue Learning about Eye and Vision

Worst Case Scenario: I Slept in My Contact Lenses
It’s hard enough to brush your teeth, floss and wash your face before plopping under the covers. But if you’re one of the 41 million people in the US ...
How do eyelash growth abnormalities affect the body?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
In general, eyelash growth disorders only affect the eyes. The effect that an eyelash growth abnorma...
5 Best Foods for Your Eyes
5 Best Foods for Your Eyes5 Best Foods for Your Eyes5 Best Foods for Your Eyes5 Best Foods for Your Eyes
Swap your carrots for these eye-friendly foods.
What Are the Most Important Issues in Eye Health?