How does the curvature measurement work for contact lenses?

For contact lenses, the base curve is the curve on the back surface of the lens. The curve on the back surface of soft lenses, including cosmetic lenses, should roughly approximate the curve on the clear front surface of your eye for maximum wearing comfort. Because the fit needs to be only approximate, most soft contact lenses are made in only two or three base curves. (For hard contact lenses, the back surface of the contact lens is custom made to exactly fit the clear front surface of the eye.) Any contact lens fitter can quickly and easily measure the curves on the front surfaces of your eyes and thereby advise you which available base curve would be best for you.

Continue Learning about Eye and Vision

Clear Insight: How to Prevent Cataracts
Clear Insight: How to Prevent Cataracts
When Little Red Riding Hood exclaimed, “My Grandma, what big eyes you have,” the Big Bad Wolf replied, “The better to see you with my dear.” “But, Gra...
What causes my eyes to water?
Several things can make your eyes water. Watery eyes can be a sign of dehydration: Because your body...
10 Simple Sight-Saving Tips
10 Simple Sight-Saving Tips10 Simple Sight-Saving Tips10 Simple Sight-Saving Tips10 Simple Sight-Saving Tips
Take a look at 10 sight-saving tips to protect your vision and boost your eye health.
Advances in Cataract Surgery and the Future of Eye Care