How do I care for someone with keratitis?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

If your loved one is suffering from a mild case of keratitis, you can make sure that they are taking their medication on time and that they are refraining from touching their eyes. Other instructions may include avoiding eye makeup, using painkillers, wearing protective glasses or eye patches as prescribed, and not using contacts lenses (especially at night).

If your loved one has severe keratitis, however, they may be dealing with serious vision impairment or loss. Such impairments can be hard to deal with. Support your loved one emotionally through this trying time, and help them do daily visual tasks if they begin to struggle.

Continue Learning about Eye and Vision

What Can Happen to My Eyesight After I Turn 40?
In this video, ophthalmologist David Demartini, MD, describes the serious effect that aging can have on a person’s eyes, and discusses the vision chan...
The Surprising Way Diabetes Can Lead to Blindness
You probably know that people with diabetes have trouble with blood sugar. But did you know about one-third develop an eye disease called diabetic ret...
What is photophobia?
Photophobia is sensitivity to light, which may cause eye pain or discomfort. It can make it hard for...
Should You Take Supplements for Your Eyes?
Should You Take Supplements for Your Eyes?Should You Take Supplements for Your Eyes?Should You Take Supplements for Your Eyes?Should You Take Supplements for Your Eyes?
When it comes to nourishing your vision, a good diet trumps dietary supplements–for most of us. If you're a baby boomer, you probably worry about you...