Can eyes be transplanted?

Medical science has no way to transplant whole eyes. Our eyes are connected to the brain by the optic nerve.
Much like a fiber optic cable, the optic nerve is made up of more than one million tiny nerve fibers. This nerve cannot be reconnected once it has been severed. Because of this, the eye is never removed from its socket during surgery.
The cornea, the clear front part of the eye, has been successfully transplanted for many years. Corneal transplant is sometimes confused with an eye transplant.

Continue Learning about Eye and Vision

Preventing Sports-Related Eye Injuries
Preventing Sports-Related Eye Injuries
On February 18, 2009, the point guard for the Phoenix Suns, Amar′e Stoudemire, was poked in the eye by LA Clippers’ forward Al Thornton. The result? A...
How can I treat my watery eyes?
Dr. Laura C. Fine, MDDr. Laura C. Fine, MD
Treatment for watery eyes depends on the cause. If dry eye syndrome (decline in tear production) is ...
10 Simple Sight-Saving Tips
10 Simple Sight-Saving Tips10 Simple Sight-Saving Tips10 Simple Sight-Saving Tips10 Simple Sight-Saving Tips
Take a look at 10 sight-saving tips to protect your vision and boost your eye health.
Can Eyes Be Transplanted?
Can Eyes Be Transplanted?