Is there a cure for eyelash growth abnormalities?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Because most eyelash abnormalities arise from genetic disorders, it is difficult to prevent them. Genetic counseling may be a consideration for parents have symptoms of a genetic disease that includes an eyelash growth abnormality. Prenatal testing can also alert an expecting couple, who show no symptoms themselves, to the possibility of a genetic disorder that includes symptoms of eyelash abnormalities. When well informed, a couple can help know what to expect from a pregnancy.

The medication to encourage eyelash growth usually requires consistent application in order to keep the abnormality from recurring. Removal of the excessive or extra eyelash growth will, more than likely, need to be done repeatedly. A medication known as bimatoprost may treat eyelash abnormalities that cause you to have little or no eyelash growth. When placed along the upper lid, at the root of the lashes, the medication will produce new lash growth after a minimum of two months application. Bimatoprost must be used continuously in order for it to work. Once it is discontinued, eyelash growth can cease and your original symptoms may return.

Some side effects to treatment of sparsely grown eyelashes occur from the medication, bimatoprost. Your eyes may become red, itchy, or dry. You may also see the skin around your lids become darker. Your irises may turn brown and remain that way. Also, you may find hair growing in places around your eyes where the medication may have dripped.

Continue Learning about Eye and Vision

Worst Case Scenario: I Slept in My Contact Lenses
It’s hard enough to brush your teeth, floss and wash your face before plopping under the covers. But if you’re one of the 41 million people in the US ...
What might cause eye complications?
Dr. Gary S. Hirshfield, MDDr. Gary S. Hirshfield, MD
The two likely diagnoses that cause these symptoms are dermatitis of the eyelid skin and blepharitis...
10 Simple Sight-Saving Tips
10 Simple Sight-Saving Tips10 Simple Sight-Saving Tips10 Simple Sight-Saving Tips10 Simple Sight-Saving Tips
Take a look at 10 sight-saving tips to protect your vision and boost your eye health.
What Are the Symptoms of Macular Degeneration?