Question

Eye and Vision

Could one of my eyes be smaller than the other?

• Many patients come in with the complaint of an eye being smaller and it is almost always a result of the eyelid being droopy (bleharoptosis) that gives this appearance.  It is likely that the "smaller" eye has a droopy eyelid and you can tell this by looking at where the eyelid falls compared to your pupil, the droopy eyelid being closer to the pupil then the other lid.  It is also possible that the other eye is more prominent due to something like thyroid eye disease or Graves making one eye appear larger.  The most common cause of ptosis is just aging changes, but if you noticed the onset it is important to have a full eye exam with an EyeMD because while most often this is not serious, there are conditions which cause your symptoms that can be very serious such as a problem with a nerve.

Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
Are blood vessels in my eye encroaching on my iris a serious problem?