How is a corneal abrasion treated?

Treatment may include the following:
  • Patching the injured eye to prevent eyelid blinking from irritating the injury
  • Applying lubricating eyedrops or ointment to the eye to form a soothing layer between the eyelid and the abrasion
  • Using antibiotics to prevent infection
  • Dilating (widening) the pupil to relieve pain
  • Wearing a special contact lens to help healing

Continue Learning about Eye and Vision

Seeing the Light at the Eye Doctor
Seeing the Light at the Eye Doctor
Have you heard of “white coat syndrome?” That’s when a person’s blood pressure is mostly normal at home, but spikes at the doctors’ office, often due ...
How do I manage my viral eye infections on a daily basis?
Managing a viral eye infection is often simply a case of staying home and limiting contact with othe...
7 Vision Problems You Shouldn't Ignore
7 Vision Problems You Shouldn't Ignore7 Vision Problems You Shouldn't Ignore7 Vision Problems You Shouldn't Ignore7 Vision Problems You Shouldn't Ignore
Keep your eyes healthy and watch out for these common vision problems.
Is It Normal to Have Vision Problems After Age 40?