What causes retinitis pigmentosa?

Retinitis pigmentosa is thought to be caused by defects of certain genes in the body. The defects cause cells in the retina to malfunction and begin to break down. Retinitis pigmentosa is often hereditary (runs in families). If you or your partner have retinitis pigmentosa, there may be up to a 50 percent chance that you will pass it along to your children. Ask your ophthalmologist (Eye M.D.) about genetic counseling if you are planning to have children.

Continue Learning about Eye and Vision

3 Ways Your Vision Changes as You Age
3 Ways Your Vision Changes as You Age
Even a slight deterioration of any of your senses can be frustrating or worrisome. Not only can it interfere with your safety and your ability to unde...
How do I manage my eyelash growth abnormality on a daily basis?
Treatment options for eyelash growth abnormalities will vary depending on the abnormality and the un...
7 Vision Problems You Shouldn't Ignore
7 Vision Problems You Shouldn't Ignore7 Vision Problems You Shouldn't Ignore7 Vision Problems You Shouldn't Ignore7 Vision Problems You Shouldn't Ignore
Keep your eyes healthy and watch out for these common vision problems.
How Does the Big Data Concept Impact Ophthalmology?