What causes retinitis pigmentosa?

Retinitis pigmentosa is thought to be caused by defects of certain genes in the body. The defects cause cells in the retina to malfunction and begin to break down. Retinitis pigmentosa is often hereditary (runs in families). If you or your partner have retinitis pigmentosa, there may be up to a 50 percent chance that you will pass it along to your children. Ask your ophthalmologist (Eye M.D.) about genetic counseling if you are planning to have children.

Continue Learning about Eye and Vision

Trouble with Fine Print? The Facts on Presbyopia
Do you find that you have to hold things farther away from your eyes to see them clearly? The problem you're having may be due to presbyopia -- a cond...
Worst Case Scenario: I Slept in My Contact Lenses
It’s hard enough to brush your teeth, floss and wash your face before plopping under the covers. But if you’re one of the 41 million people in the US ...
Eyes: A Window into Health
Eyes: A Window into Health
You take in the world with your eyes—from paint colors to the perfect autumn sky—but did you know your eyes also allow for a unique look inside your b...
Sidelined by Pink Eye
Sidelined by Pink Eye
One of the more popular topics at this year’s Sochi Olympics had nothing to do with top athletes failing to medal or dropping out of competition -- it...