Can wearing contacts make astigmatism worse?

Astigmatism is an out-of-roundness of the front of your eye. Soft contact lenses, including those made to correct astigmatism, usually do not cause any change in the astigmatism of an eye. Rigid contact lenses may occasionally mold the cornea (the clear front window of the eye) with a resulting change (usually a reduction) in astigmatism; but this molding is not permanent, and the eye returns to its original state if contact-lens wear is discontinued.

A severe change in astigmatism in adults may signal an underlying corneal disease such as keratoconus. You should consult an eye doctor for an evaluation of the corneas of your eyes.

Continue Learning about Eye and Vision

Clear Insight: How to Prevent Cataracts
Clear Insight: How to Prevent Cataracts
When Little Red Riding Hood exclaimed, “My Grandma, what big eyes you have,” the Big Bad Wolf replied, “The better to see you with my dear.” “But, Gra...
Can Macular Degeneration Be Reversed?
Can Macular Degeneration Be Reversed?
In this video, David David Demartini, MD, of Northern California Cornea Associates, describes a future breakthrough treatment that could win the nobel...
Seeing the Light at the Eye Doctor
Seeing the Light at the Eye Doctor
Have you heard of “white coat syndrome?” That’s when a person’s blood pressure is mostly normal at home, but spikes at the doctors’ office, often due ...
What Is the Mission of the American Academy of Ophthalmology?