Can I have surgery to remove a brown spot on my eye that burns?

Most "spots" are benign nevi, or freckles, that never cause a problem. Others, however, can grow or transform into malignant tumors. The most likely cause of increased irritation is growth of the nevus with increased thickness. Elevated lesions cause the eye surface to wet irregularly leaving some areas dry, and more prone to irritation.  Any spot that has changed should be seen by an EyeMD.  Lumps and bumps on the conjunctiva (the glossy layer overlying the white sclera) can be easy to remove in the clinic setting. This minor surgery can be done painlessly, and the tissue can then be sent to pathology to ensure that you do not have a more serious problem.

Continue Learning about Eye and Vision

Are Your Eyes a Window Into Heart Trouble?
Your eyes may be a window into your soul, but they can also give your doctor a look into the health of your heart. A study has linked micro-damage to ...
What do multifocal and accommodative IOLs do to clear vision?
Dr. Alan J. Margolis, MDDr. Alan J. Margolis, MD
Prior to undergoing cataract surgery, your ophthalmologist will perform a variety of tests and exami...
10 Simple Sight-Saving Tips
10 Simple Sight-Saving Tips10 Simple Sight-Saving Tips10 Simple Sight-Saving Tips10 Simple Sight-Saving Tips
Take a look at 10 sight-saving tips to protect your vision and boost your eye health.
Advances in Cataract Surgery and the Future of Eye Care