Can I undergo LASIK if I have pellucid marginal degeneration?

Ectasia of the cornea is a risk when performing LASIK on a cornea that has pellucid marginal degeneration. Ectasia is a condition wherein the cornea is weakened to the point that it fails to maintain its normal shape and bows forward like a bulge on an auto tire. There are many conditions that weaken the strength of the cornea and its ability to resist this ectasia. Pellucid degeneration is one of these conditions. Pellucid degeneration and several other cornea-weakening conditions may be difficult to observe during a routine eye examination, although they are easily observed through a routine pre-operative test called corneal topography.

Continue Learning about Eye and Vision

7 Ways to Live Better With Low Vision
7 Ways to Live Better With Low Vision7 Ways to Live Better With Low Vision7 Ways to Live Better With Low Vision7 Ways to Live Better With Low Vision
Make your day-to-day living easier with these home and lifestyle tips. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), about 14 mi...
5 Best Foods for Your Eyes
5 Best Foods for Your Eyes5 Best Foods for Your Eyes5 Best Foods for Your Eyes5 Best Foods for Your Eyes
Swap your carrots for these eye-friendly foods. By Patrick Sullivan Everyone knows carrots promote eye health. They’re a good source of beta-caroten...
Can Robots Improve Eye Surgery?
Can Robots Improve Eye Surgery?
What Advantages Do New Surgeons Have in Terms of Training?