Can I undergo LASIK if I have pellucid marginal degeneration?

Ectasia of the cornea is a risk when performing LASIK on a cornea that has pellucid marginal degeneration. Ectasia is a condition wherein the cornea is weakened to the point that it fails to maintain its normal shape and bows forward like a bulge on an auto tire. There are many conditions that weaken the strength of the cornea and its ability to resist this ectasia. Pellucid degeneration is one of these conditions. Pellucid degeneration and several other cornea-weakening conditions may be difficult to observe during a routine eye examination, although they are easily observed through a routine pre-operative test called corneal topography.

Continue Learning about Eye and Vision

9 Warning Signs Your Child Has Vision Problems
Kids can be pretty vocal when they’re hungry, grumpy or just plain ol’ tired, but when it comes to vision problems—such as difficulty making out the w...
What is photophobia?
Photophobia is sensitivity to light, which may cause eye pain or discomfort. It can make it hard for...
7 Foods for Healthy Eyes
7 Foods for Healthy Eyes7 Foods for Healthy Eyes7 Foods for Healthy Eyes7 Foods for Healthy Eyes
For brighter eyes and clearer vision, these foods can help.
Will We Eventually Be Able to Cure Blindness?