Can I wear contacts if I am legally blind and wear thick glasses?

You should be able to wear contact lenses. It sounds like you might be wearing glasses that either are very highly minus for the treatment of high myopia or very highly plus for the treatment of high hyperopia. Contact lenses that treat high errors are available. Depending upon the numbers and the amount of associated astigmatism this type of lens can be significantly more expensive than average contact lenses particularly if a custom lens is needed.

Continue Learning about Eye and Vision

3 Ways Your Vision Changes as You Age
3 Ways Your Vision Changes as You Age
Even a slight deterioration of any of your senses can be frustrating or worrisome. Not only can it interfere with your safety and your ability to unde...
Which babies are most prone to eye problems?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
Babies born prematurely, as well as babies born with breathing problems or nerve problems, are more ...
6 Contact Lens Mistakes You’re Probably Making—And How to Fix Them
6 Contact Lens Mistakes You’re Probably Making—And How to Fix Them6 Contact Lens Mistakes You’re Probably Making—And How to Fix Them6 Contact Lens Mistakes You’re Probably Making—And How to Fix Them6 Contact Lens Mistakes You’re Probably Making—And How to Fix Them
Poor contact lens hygiene can lead to a serious eye infection called keratitis.
Is It Normal to Have Vision Problems After Age 40?