What causes the whites of the eye to appear yellow?

The most common cause of a yellow cast to the whites of the eyes is thickening of the clear membrane (the bulbar conjunctiva) that covers the whites of the eyes. The name of such a thickening is pinguecula. Pingueculae form when the eye has been subjected to much ultraviolet radiation in sunlight, so ultraviolet-absorbing sunglasses are preventative. Less commonly, the entire white of the eye can become yellow in a person who has liver failure with an elevated level of a chemical called bilirubin in the blood.

Continue Learning about Eye Conditions

Presbyopia: Correcting Age-Related Vision Loss
Sometime around of after age 40, many people notice that it is getting more difficult for their eyes to focus on nearby objects. For many, the first s...
What are the symptoms of uveal coloboma?
There may or may not be any symptoms related to coloboma; it all depends on the amount and location ...
What should I do if one eye keeps closing and my eyes sometimes cross?
Louis B. Cantor, MDLouis B. Cantor, MD
An eye may close for many reasons.  If the eye crossing and closing began to occur at about the same...
What Are the Most Important Issues in Eye Health?