What types of surgery are available to treat presbyopia?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

There are several types of surgery that can treat presbyopia. All perform some correction that compensates for the hardening of the lens. In LASIK, LASEK, and PRK, a surgeon uses a laser to modify the cornea or the epithelium. In conductive keroplasty, radiowaves are used to head tissue around the cornea. In a new and apparently fairly effective procedure called scleral expansion band, the surgeon inserts a band to supplement the lens. You should talk to your doctor about which procedure would be best for you.

Continue Learning about Eye Conditions

What Is Presbyopia?
What Is Presbyopia?
Presbyopia is a condition that affects a person's ability to see up close, and usually occurs around age 40. Learn more in this video featuring naturo...
What Are Some Basic Facts About Children's Eye Health?
Have Eye Treatments Evolved?
Have Eye Treatments Evolved?
How Can I Reduce the Risk of Vision Loss?