What types of contact lenses are available to treat presbyopia?

David R. Demartini, MD
Ophthalmology
Contact lenses are usually used for correcting distance vision. Glasses for reading are easily available for use over distance-correction contacts and can usually be bought at the local drug department or grocery stores. Some patients can get used to using contacts that have been fitted to correct one eye for distance and one for reading. This is called monovision. There are also contacts that are multifocal and can provide distance and reading correction in one lens.

There are several different types of contact lenses available to treat presbyopia. Soft contact lenses are easier on the eye and usually easier to keep in the eye. Rigid contact lenses may provide clearer vision. Some people choose to get monovision contact lenses, where one eye sees distances clearly, and the other sees close by. This arrangement can sometimes be difficult to get used to.

Continue Learning about Eye Conditions

Presbyopia: Correcting Age-Related Vision Loss
Sometime around of after age 40, many people notice that it is getting more difficult for their eyes to focus on nearby objects. For many, the first s...
What should I do if I have temporary blindness and pressure in my eyes?
George A. Williams, MDGeorge A. Williams, MD
You need a comprehensive eye exam as soon as possible. Decreased vision can be a serious warning sig...
What are pterygium and pinguecula?
American Academy of Ophthalmology's EyeSmartAmerican Academy of Ophthalmology's EyeSmart
Pterygium (pronounced tur-IJ-ee-um) and pinguecula (pronounced pin-GWEK-yoo-la) are growths on the c...
What Is Promising About Molecular Genetics?