What is overflow tearing?

Abnormal or overflow eye tearing is a common condition in infants. In fact, approximately one-third of all newborns have excessive tears and mucus. It occurs when a membrane (a skin-like tissue) in the nose fails to open before birth, blocking part of the tear drainage system. If tears do not drain properly, they can collect inside the tear drainage system and spill over the eyelid onto the cheek.

The tear sac can also become infected, which may lead to the development of conjunctivitis, commonly known as “pink eye.” You should contact your primary care physician or ophthalmologist (Eye M.D.) if the discharge becomes thicker or changes color from white to yellow or green, or the white of the eye becomes red.

Continue Learning about Eye Conditions

Presbyopia: Correcting Age-Related Vision Loss
Sometime around of after age 40, many people notice that it is getting more difficult for their eyes to focus on nearby objects. For many, the first s...
Are there other diseases or conditions associated with coloboma?
Coloboma is sometimes found in association with other eye features. These may include: Difference i...
How are tear duct infections diagnosed?
Presbyterian/St. Luke's Medical CenterPresbyterian/St. Luke's Medical Center
Tear duct infections are diagnosed with the following tests: Dye disappearance test: An orange dy...
How Can I Reduce the Risk of Vision Loss?