What is hyperopia (farsightedness)?

Laura C. Fine, MD
People with hyperopia (farsightedness) see objects better at a distance than up close. In this case, the eyeball is usually too short, and light rays reach the retina before they are focused. Hyperopia can also be caused by weaknesses in the refractive power of the lens and cornea (the curved, transparent dome of tissue at the front of the eye). While farsightedness may go unnoticed for years, the eye's corrective ability diminishes with age, and a person will probably need glasses by midlife.

If you're able to see far away objects better than the things that are closer to you, you may be farsighted, a condition called hyperopia. This problem happens when light focuses beyond your retina instead of on it, making close objects look blurry. Glasses, contacts, or laser surgery may help you focus better. But this is not to be confused with presbyopia.

Take the RealAge Test!

Continue Learning about Eye Conditions

Presbyopia: Correcting Age-Related Vision Loss
Presbyopia: Correcting Age-Related Vision Loss
Sometime around of after age 40, many people notice that it is getting more difficult for their eyes to focus on nearby objects. For many, the first s...
Read More
What's the treatment if the whites of my eyes are red or yellow?
Univ. of Nev. School of Medicine, Family MedicineUniv. of Nev. School of Medicine, Family Medicine
Dry eyes, irritants, and infections can all cause redness of the sclera. Most infections are caused ...
More Answers
How are drooping eyelids treated?
American Academy of Ophthalmology's EyeSmartAmerican Academy of Ophthalmology's EyeSmart
Ptosis (drooping) of the upper eyelids occurs in two forms: congenital (something you are born with)...
More Answers
How Do You Inspire the Next Generation of Physicians?
How Do You Inspire the Next Generation of Physicians?

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.