What should I do if I have a fuzzy dark spot in my field of vision?

A moving fuzzy dark spot that suddenly appears in the field of vision is almost certainly a vitreous floater, i.e., an opacity in the clear gel that fills the back part of the eyeball. Floaters commonly appear in middle aged and elderly persons if the vitreous gel undergoes a sudden shrinkage or collapse.
However, if floaters appear for someone in their 20s, this may be associated with a hemorrhage into the vitreous gel or with a hole in the retina. You should have an opthalmologist examine your eyes as soon as possible.

Continue Learning about Eye Conditions

Presbyopia: Correcting Age-Related Vision Loss
Sometime around of after age 40, many people notice that it is getting more difficult for their eyes to focus on nearby objects. For many, the first s...
How Can I Reduce the Risk of Vision Loss?
Have Eye Treatments Evolved?
Have Eye Treatments Evolved?
What Is the Gold Standard for Eye Care?
What Is the Gold Standard for Eye Care?