What should I do if I have a fuzzy dark spot in my field of vision?

A moving fuzzy dark spot that suddenly appears in the field of vision is almost certainly a vitreous floater, i.e., an opacity in the clear gel that fills the back part of the eyeball. Floaters commonly appear in middle aged and elderly persons if the vitreous gel undergoes a sudden shrinkage or collapse.
However, if floaters appear for someone in their 20s, this may be associated with a hemorrhage into the vitreous gel or with a hole in the retina. You should have an opthalmologist examine your eyes as soon as possible.

Continue Learning about Eye Conditions

Presbyopia: Correcting Age-Related Vision Loss
Presbyopia: Correcting Age-Related Vision Loss
Sometime around of after age 40, many people notice that it is getting more difficult for their eyes to focus on nearby objects. For many, the first s...
Read More
What should I do if one eye keeps closing and my eyes sometimes cross?
Louis B. Cantor, MDLouis B. Cantor, MD
An eye may close for many reasons.  If the eye crossing and closing began to occur at about the same...
More Answers
How are tear duct infections diagnosed?
Presbyterian/St. Luke's Medical CenterPresbyterian/St. Luke's Medical Center
Tear duct infections are diagnosed with the following tests: Dye disappearance test: An orange dy...
More Answers
What Are the Symptoms of Macular Degeneration?
What Are the Symptoms of Macular Degeneration?

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.