What causes the whites of my eyes to be red?

If your eyes are red, it could be a sign of inflammation in the body. Dr. Oz explains the cause of red eyes and gives tips on preventing and treating bloodshot eyes.

There are several eye diseases that cause red eyes, some of which can lead to blindness unless diagnosed and treated. If symptoms of conjunctivitis or "pink eye" persist for an extended period of time after treatment, you should have your eyes examined by your ophthalmologist, as these symptoms may indicate a more serious eye problem.

Continue Learning about Eye Conditions

What Is Presbyopia?
What Is Presbyopia?
Presbyopia is a condition that affects a person's ability to see up close, and usually occurs around age 40. Learn more in this video featuring naturo...
How can I calm down after an eye injury?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
If you are anxious after a bombing or blast and eye injury, your feelings are normal. Bombings and b...
Can uveal coloboma be treated?
Patients with uveal coloboma should have yearly follow-up exams by an eye care professional. However...
How Can I Reduce the Risk of Vision Loss?