What causes presbyopia?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Presbyopia results from a hardening of the lens inside the eye. Normally, a muscle surrounding the lens pulls and relaxes in order to bend it into different shapes. Looking at a nearby object requires pulling the lens back to create a nearer focal point. Aging naturally hardens the lens and makes focusing more difficult.

When you are young, the lens in your eye is soft and flexible. The lens can change its shape easily, allowing you to focus on objects both close and far away.
After age 40, the lens becomes more rigid and cannot change shape as easily as it once did. As a result, it is more difficult for the eye to focus clearly on close objects. Reading and performing other close-up tasks such as threading a needle become very difficult.
No medications, supplemental vitamins or exercises can stop or reverse the normal aging process that causes presbyopia.

Continue Learning about Eye Conditions

How Can I Reduce the Risk of Vision Loss?
How Do You Inspire the Next Generation of Physicians?
Is Laser Therapy Safer than It Used to Be?
How Does Personalized Medicine Play Into Ophthalmology?