What causes iritis?

Iritis, which is inflammation of the brown or blue colored iris around the pupil of the eye, is an autoimmune response inside of your eye. In other words, your body's immune system creates an inflammation in response to changes in your own tissue just as if a foreign protein from an animal or plant had entered your body. Testing is often done to see if other parts of your body beyond your eyes are developing a similar inflammation; but in many cases iritis is limited to just the eye tissue, so the tests will be negative. Your EyeMD will prescribe medical treatment for the iritis which you should continue to take until the inflammation in your eye subsides. 

Continue Learning about Eye Conditions

Presbyopia: Correcting Age-Related Vision Loss
Sometime around of after age 40, many people notice that it is getting more difficult for their eyes to focus on nearby objects. For many, the first s...
How Many Diabetics Develop Diabetic Retinopathy?
How Can I Reduce the Risk of Vision Loss?
What Is Exciting About Modern Ophthalmology?