What causes my eyes to constantly tear?

Tearing is a very common complaint and is often difficult to solve because there are so many different causes. Any type of ocular surface irritation can cause tearing such as blepharitis, allergy or even dry eyes. Eyelid laxity and/or other malposition of the eyelid resulting from age or other causes such as Bell's palsy is another cause. Tear duct obstruction is another common cause and this can be diagnosed by an in office test. In some cases, special radiographic tests, such as dacrycstography, are used to follow the flow of tears through the system and to determine if there is functional blockage. I would suggest you see an EyeMD who will first evaluate the ocular surface and treat any abnormalities and then examine the tear duct drainage system for functional blockage. 

Continue Learning about Eye Conditions

What Is Presbyopia?
What Is Presbyopia?
Presbyopia is a condition that affects a person's ability to see up close, and usually occurs around age 40. Learn more in this video featuring naturo...
What is Mucous Membrane Pemphigoid (MMP)?
David R. Demartini, MDDavid R. Demartini, MD
MMP is a chronic autoimmune disease that affects mostly elderly patients where the body's white bloo...
What are the symptoms of a blocked tear duct?
Presbyterian/St. Luke's Medical CenterPresbyterian/St. Luke's Medical Center
The symptoms of a blocked tear duct include: tearing over the cheek wet eyes tearing on a windy...
How Many Diabetics Develop Diabetic Retinopathy?