What causes anterior ischemic optic neuropathy?

Anterior ischemic optic neuropathy is an unusual abnormality in patients under 50 years of age. It is caused by a lack of blood flow to a portion of the optic nerve visible to the ophthalmologist in the back of the eye. There is no cure. It is generally not progressive but may improve modestly over time.

Continue Learning about Eye Conditions

What Is Presbyopia?
What Is Presbyopia?
Presbyopia is a condition that affects a person's ability to see up close, and usually occurs around age 40. Learn more in this video featuring naturo...
What is the difference between a pterygium and a pinguecula?
American Academy of Ophthalmology's EyeSmartAmerican Academy of Ophthalmology's EyeSmart
A pinguecula is a yellowish patch or bump on the conjunctiva, most often on the side closest to the ...
Can uveal coloboma be treated?
Patients with uveal coloboma should have yearly follow-up exams by an eye care professional. However...
How Can I Reduce the Risk of Vision Loss?