How is congenital ptosis treated?

In most cases, the treatment for childhood ptosis is surgery. If amblyopia is present, treatment with patching, eyeglasses or eyedrops may also be necessary. In determining whether or not surgery is necessary and which procedure is the most appropriate, an ophthalmologist (Eye M.D.) must consider a few important factors:

  • The child’s age
  • Whether one or both eyelids are involved
  • The eyelid height
  • The eyelid’s lifting and closing muscle strength
  • The eye’s movements

During surgery the levator, or eyelid-lifting muscle, is tightened. In severe ptosis, when the levator muscle is extremely weak, the lid can be attached or suspended from under the eyebrow so that the forehead muscles can do the lifting.

Mild or moderate ptosis usually does not require surgery early in life. Children with ptosis, whether they have had surgery or not, should be examined regularly by an ophthalmologist for amblyopia, refractive disorders and associated conditions. Even after surgery, focusing problems can develop as the eyes grow and change shape.

Continue Learning about Eye Conditions

What Is Presbyopia?
What Is Presbyopia?
Presbyopia is a condition that affects a person's ability to see up close, and usually occurs around age 40. Learn more in this video featuring naturo...
Read More
What are floaters?
Dr. Michael Roizen, MDDr. Michael Roizen, MD
If you have enough of them, it looks like you can see a planetarium in your line of vision. Though t...
More Answers
What are the symptoms of uveal coloboma?
Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)
There may or may not be any symptoms related to coloboma; it all depends on the amount and location ...
More Answers
What Is the Gold Standard for Eye Care?
What Is the Gold Standard for Eye Care?

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.