What are the symptoms of stye and chalazion?

Symptoms of a stye at first generally include eyelid tenderness and redness in the affected area, with irritation and scratchiness in the eye. 
Further symptoms of a stye include:
  • A red bump along the edge of the eyelid at the base of the eyelashes, usually with a small pus spot in the center;
  • A feeling as if something is in your eye;
  • Sensitivity to light;
  • Crusting along the eyelid margin;
  • Tearing.
About 25 percent of chalazia have no symptoms and ill disappear without any treatment. Sometimes, however, a chalazion may become red, swollen and tender. A larger chalazion may also cause blurred vision by distorting the shape of the eye. Occasionally, a chalazion can cause the entire eyelid to swell suddenly.

Continue Learning about Eye Conditions

What Is Presbyopia?
What Is Presbyopia?
Presbyopia is a condition that affects a person's ability to see up close, and usually occurs around age 40. Learn more in this video featuring naturo...
What causes the whites of my eyes to be red?
American Academy of Ophthalmology's EyeSmartAmerican Academy of Ophthalmology's EyeSmart
There are several eye diseases that cause red eyes, some of which can lead to blindness unless diagn...
What are the symptoms of pterygium and pinguecula?
Symptoms of both pterygium and pinguecula can range from mild to severe and may include: Redness...
How Can I Reduce the Risk of Vision Loss?