What are the symptoms of keratoconus?

Keratoconus usually affects both eyes, though symptoms in each eye may differ. Symptoms usually start to occur in people who are in their late teens and early 20s and may include:

• Mild blurring of vision
  • Slight distortion of vision
  • Increased sensitivity to light
  • Glare
  • Mild eye irritation

The rate of progression varies. Keratoconus will often progress slowly for 10 to 20 years and then suddenly stop.

As the condition progresses, the most common symptoms include:

• Increased blurring and distortion of your vision
  • Increased nearsightedness or astigmatism
  • Frequent eyeglass prescription changes
  • Inability to wear contact lenses

Occasionally, keratoconus can advance rapidly, causing the cornea to become scarred. Scar tissue on the cornea causes the cornea to lose its smoothness and clarity. As a result, even more distortion and blurring of vision can occur.

Continue Learning about Eye Conditions

What Is Presbyopia?
What Is Presbyopia?
Presbyopia is a condition that affects a person's ability to see up close, and usually occurs around age 40. Learn more in this video featuring naturo...
What causes the whites of the eye to appear yellow?
Lee R. Duffner, MDLee R. Duffner, MD
The most common cause of a yellow cast to the whites of the eyes is thickening of the clear memb...
What can help me manage map-dot fingerprint dystrophy?
Ivan A. Schwab, MDIvan A. Schwab, MD
Map-dot dystrophy of the cornea is relatively common and often has a genetic component. It consi...
How Can I Reduce the Risk of Vision Loss?