Should I have surgery to remove floaters in my eye?

Floaters that are not associated with retinal problems such as tears or holes are usually a benign condition.  Should the floaters worsen, increase in number or size or become associated with blurring or light flashes then immediate attention by an EyeMD is needed to rule out retinal problems.  Most people get used to floaters over time and no intervention is required.  A  very small subset of patients become very disturbed by their floaters and seek symptomatic relief.  Since floaters are not typically vision threatening, surgical intervention is hardly ever recommended.  Some eye surgeons have advocated laser disruption of floaters but this creates risk of retinal tear and has not been documented as effective and very few EyeMD's would perform this.  Vitrectomy or surgical removal of the vitreous can relieve floaters.  However, this procedure introduces a high risk of cataract development and also a risk of retinal tears and detachment and even blinding infection.  Therefore it is not recommended.  However, only you can know how disturbing the floaters are and to what extent you are willing to pursue treatment that is basically treating a symptom that is not vision threatening with a surgery that may very well be vision threatening.

Continue Learning about Eye Conditions

Presbyopia: Correcting Age-Related Vision Loss
Sometime around of after age 40, many people notice that it is getting more difficult for their eyes to focus on nearby objects. For many, the first s...
How can I lower my risk of eye problems?
Healthy HumansHealthy Humans
Awareness of our eye health is very important. For example, if you don't recover from the glare caus...
What is the treatment for a child born without a tear duct in one eye?
Lee R. Duffner, MDLee R. Duffner, MD
If the lacrimal drainage system - the portion of the tear system responsible for draining tears from...
What Are the Symptoms of Macular Degeneration?