Should I tell my child's school about their astigmatism?

You should tell your child's school about their astigmatism if your child is having problems seeing in class. It could be easier for your child to sit in a different area of the classroom to read things at a distance, and telling your child's teacher about this will help them make seating more convenient for your child and reduce the possibility of eye strain. Otherwise, effective treatment should eliminate astigmatism as a hindrance to your child's school performance.

Continue Learning about Eye Conditions

Presbyopia: Correcting Age-Related Vision Loss
Sometime around of after age 40, many people notice that it is getting more difficult for their eyes to focus on nearby objects. For many, the first s...
What could a cloudy patch in a child's eye indicate?
David K. Coats, MDDavid K. Coats, MD
A cloudy patch in the eye could represent an abnormality with important visual implications. I s...
What are spasms of accommodation in the eyes?
David K. Coats, MDDavid K. Coats, MD
Spasms of accommodation is a situation in which the “focusing muscles” of the eyes contract when the...
What Are Some Basic Facts About Children's Eye Health?