Should I have laser treatment to remove floaters in my eye?

Floaters are imperfections within the eye. They are collections of tiny fibers and cells that cast a shadow on the retina, especially when looking at a bright plain background, such as a bright blue sky. They tend to move gently on their own or with movements of the eye, hence the name “floaters." These can be annoying, and there is no good way to be rid of them.

There are some who are being treated with laser bursts. These bursts tend to break up the floaters. There are few pros to such surgery. If you are lucky, the floaters may become small enough to drift out of the line of sight. The cons are many. The floaters may be made worse because there are more of them, or your surgeon may not be able to find the ones that bother you most. More importantly, you will have the risk of retinal tears, retinal swelling or edema, and even retinal detachment. Glaucoma, or too much pressure in the eye, is also possible. These conditions can be blinding, although generally these conditions are treatable. There are very few retinal surgeons who perform this procedure for the reasons mentioned above.

Continue Learning about Eye Conditions

Presbyopia: Correcting Age-Related Vision Loss
Sometime around of after age 40, many people notice that it is getting more difficult for their eyes to focus on nearby objects. For many, the first s...
How can I lower my risk of eye problems?
Healthy HumansHealthy Humans
Awareness of our eye health is very important. For example, if you don't recover from the glare caus...
What causes uveal coloboma?
It is believed that uveal coloboma is primarily genetic in origin. "Genetic" means that coloboma is ...
How Eye Health Is Influenced by Overall Health