Eye Conditions

Should I be concerned about floaters and flashes of light in my eyes?

• Flashes of light and new floaters are a combination of symptoms that cause concern to every ophthalmologist as they may indicate a tear in the retina or the beginnings of a retinal detachment.  Many patients have these symptoms and are told by their ophthalmologist that everything is fine, but a small percentage of people with these symptoms need serious treatment and are at some degree of risk for the loss of all of the sight in the eye.  A comprehensive examination of your eyes by an ophthalmologist (Eye-MD) is required immediately.

Helpful? 2 people found this helpful.
What do floaters with flashes of light mean?