Should I be concerned about floaters and flashes of light in my eyes?

Flashes of light and new floaters are a combination of symptoms that cause concern to every ophthalmologist as they may indicate a tear in the retina or the beginnings of a retinal detachment.  Many patients have these symptoms and are told by their ophthalmologist that everything is fine, but a small percentage of people with these symptoms need serious treatment and are at some degree of risk for the loss of all of the sight in the eye.  A comprehensive examination of your eyes by an ophthalmologist (Eye-MD) is required immediately.

Continue Learning about Eye Conditions

What Is Presbyopia?
What Is Presbyopia?
Presbyopia is a condition that affects a person's ability to see up close, and usually occurs around age 40. Learn more in this video featuring naturo...
Can uveal coloboma be treated?
Patients with uveal coloboma should have yearly follow-up exams by an eye care professional. However...
Is multiple sclerosis (MS) the only cause of optic neuritis (ON)?
Dr. Louis RosnerDr. Louis Rosner
There are many other possible causes of optic neuritis (ON) besides multiple sclerosis (MS). These i...
Is Laser Therapy Safer than It Used to Be?