How often should I have a checkup at the eye doctor for astigmatism?

Refractive errors like astigmatism are part of the protocol for checkups at the eye doctor. You should be going to the eye doctor about every two years from childhood to middle aged adulthood. After about age 60, you should go to the eye doctor every year. People who are at high risk - those with diabetes, blood pressure problems, family history of eye disease, and personal history of eye problems - should be going even more often than recommended. Talk to you eye doctor about how often you should be going for a checkup.

Continue Learning about Eye Conditions

Presbyopia: Correcting Age-Related Vision Loss
Sometime around of after age 40, many people notice that it is getting more difficult for their eyes to focus on nearby objects. For many, the first s...
What is the difference between a pterygium and a pinguecula?
American Academy of Ophthalmology's EyeSmartAmerican Academy of Ophthalmology's EyeSmart
A pinguecula is a yellowish patch or bump on the conjunctiva, most often on the side closest to the ...
What can help me manage map-dot fingerprint dystrophy?
Ivan A. Schwab, MDIvan A. Schwab, MD
Map-dot dystrophy of the cornea is relatively common and often has a genetic component. It consi...
How Can I Reduce the Risk of Vision Loss?