What are pterygium and pinguecula?

Pterygium (pronounced tur-IJ-ee-um) and pinguecula (pronounced pin-GWEK-yoo-la) are growths on the cornea (the clear front window of the eye) and the conjunctiva — the thin, filmy membrane that covers the white part of your eye (sclera).

Both types of growths are believed to be caused by dry eye and environmental elements such as wind, dust and ultraviolet (UV) light.

Continue Learning about Eye Conditions

Presbyopia: Correcting Age-Related Vision Loss
Sometime around of after age 40, many people notice that it is getting more difficult for their eyes to focus on nearby objects. For many, the first s...
What causes uveal coloboma?
It is believed that uveal coloboma is primarily genetic in origin. "Genetic" means that coloboma is ...
What should I do if I have temporary blindness and pressure in my eyes?
George A. Williams, MDGeorge A. Williams, MD
You need a comprehensive eye exam as soon as possible. Decreased vision can be a serious warning sig...
What Is Promising About Molecular Genetics?