Is optic nerve atrophy in a baby treatable?

Unfortunately, today this type of optic nerve damage is not treatable or reversible. However, I emphasize the word "today". There are multiple treatments under development which may be of benefit to your child over his lifetime. I also recommend that your child see a low vision expert to be certain that all available visual aids have been explored.

Continue Learning about Eye Conditions

What causes pink bubbles on the whites of the eyes?
Lee R. Duffner, MDLee R. Duffner, MD
The elevated pink areas on the nasal sides of the whites of the eyes are named pterygia. A pterygium...
What is the treatment for a child born without a tear duct in one eye?
Lee R. Duffner, MDLee R. Duffner, MD
If the lacrimal drainage system - the portion of the tear system responsible for draining tears from...
What causes uveal coloboma?
It is believed that uveal coloboma is primarily genetic in origin. "Genetic" means that coloboma is ...
Is multiple sclerosis (MS) the only cause of optic neuritis (ON)?
Dr. Louis RosnerDr. Louis Rosner
There are many other possible causes of optic neuritis (ON) besides multiple sclerosis (MS). These i...