How does uveitis affect the body?

Left untreated, uveitis can rapidly damage the eye, causing severe complications such as glaucoma, cataracts, and swelling. Glaucoma is a condition in which the inside of the eye is under abnormally high pressure. Clouding of the lens or the cornea is known as a cataract. In addition, uveitis might lead to fluid buildup within the retina or to retinal detachment, which in turn can cause permanent loss of vision.

Continue Learning about Eye Conditions

Presbyopia: Correcting Age-Related Vision Loss
Sometime around of after age 40, many people notice that it is getting more difficult for their eyes to focus on nearby objects. For many, the first s...
What should I do if one eye keeps closing and my eyes sometimes cross?
Louis B. Cantor, MDLouis B. Cantor, MD
An eye may close for many reasons.  If the eye crossing and closing began to occur at about the same...
What are the odds of my child having a keyhole pupil?
David K. Coats, MDDavid K. Coats, MD
The keyhole pupil is known as a coloboma.  The keyhole is formed by improper fusion of tissues o...
How Does Personalized Medicine Play Into Ophthalmology?