How are pterygium and pinguecula treated?

In many cases, no treatment is needed. When a pterygium or pinguecula becomes red and irritated, eyedrops or ointments may be used to help reduce inflammation. If the growths become large enough to threaten sight or cause persistent discomfort, they can be removed surgically. They are also sometimes removed for cosmetic reasons.
Despite proper surgical removal, pterygium or pinguecula may return. Surface radiation or medications are sometimes used to help prevent recurrences. However, the best way to avoid recurrences is to limit exposure to the environmental factors that contribute to their growth.
This includes:
  • Adequately protecting your eyes from excessive UV light with proper sunglasses;
  • Protecting your eyes in dry, dusty conditions with proper eyewear;
  • Applying artificial tears to your eyes in dry conditions.

Continue Learning about Eye Conditions

What Are the Symptoms of Macular Degeneration?
Have Eye Treatments Evolved?
Have Eye Treatments Evolved?
How Can I Reduce the Risk of Vision Loss?
What Is the Gold Standard for Eye Care?
What Is the Gold Standard for Eye Care?